Global Screening Hub
The Importance of International Background Checks
Conducting a thorough background check on potential new employees is critical. But managing a successful screening program across different regions is challenging - you must understand compliance regulations and know which records can be checked in certain countries.
Partnering with a company experienced in global background checks can help your hiring team overcome a wide range of challenges more efficiently.
- Consistent Hiring Standards - Protect your company, customers, and employees by establishing rules and processes across regions that align with your business objectives.
- Risk Management - Maintain a holistic view of local compliance laws and regional privacy regulations.
- Positive First Impression - A simple, straightforward experience allows candidates to submit information quickly, regardless of their location.
- Single Source of Truth - Give your global team one consistent experience to interact with candidate data, submit screening orders, and review results.
Sterling: Your Trusted Global Screening Partner
We combine deep regional screening and compliance expertise with an extensive operational footprint to help simplify the complexities of global background checks.
Global Compliance Team
Global Reach. Localized Expertise.
Sterling provides highly localized technology-enabled experiences, tools, and services to more than 50,000 clients globally. Our extensive portfolio allows you to conduct an international background check quickly and easily, regardless of where your candidates live or work.
Sterling offers screening solutions both in your location and across multiple regions, depending on your needs.Get Started
Trusted Global Industry Accolades
Frequently Asked Questions
An international background check allows you to screen candidates who either currently reside outside of the United States or previously lived, attended school, or worked in another country.
Conducting background checks across different regions can be challenging as you will need to understand cultural and compliance nuances to know what records can and can’t be checked in certain countries. Consider taking the following steps when conducting an international background check:
- First, you will need to determine what type of screening you need to conduct for your candidate based on their location and the position you are hiring for.
- Second, you must obtain the proper consent from your candidate to conduct the screening, based on where they live.
- Third, once you have received authorization from the candidate, you will want to order the screening from a qualified provider, such as Sterling.
When conducting an international background check, you must comply with the laws specific to the country where the candidate is being screened. For a US-based candidate, employers must comply with the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) when using a consumer reporting agency to conduct a background check for employment purposes. When screening an international candidate, employers must adhere to any applicable federal and/or local laws and regulations that are in place in the country where the candidate currently resides. Sterling’s global compliance team provides regular guidance on the complex, evolving global regulatory landscape to help you reduce risk and stay compliant.
Sterling makes it easy for you to screen top talent quickly and accurately, regardless of where they live. We employ in-house experts in every region that can help provide you with highly localized screening service options — such as criminal record checks and verifications — tailored for the needs of your industry. We also offer resources such as detailed country fact sheets to help you understand local requirements that can impact the screening process.
Sterling makes it easy to implement a global screening program using the following approach:
- Consultative by Design. We listen to your global hiring goals, objectives, and requirements.
- A Single Center of Excellence. We help you apply a consistent set of requirements and standards across your organization so that your entire hiring team can follow a single, unified approach to screening with the flexibility to incorporate regional and local nuances.
- Seamless Experiences. Easily leverage streamlined identity and screening workflows via our Client Hub or by integrating your program with one of our 30+ multi-regional applicant tracking system (ATS) integrations.
- Local Considerations. Sterling’s technology-enabled experiences — including our award-winning Candidate Hub — account for regional privacy laws and data housing requirements, as well as other local factors such as currency and language.
- Unrivaled Support. Your global program manager will work closely with regional team members to provide resources and help you execute your desired regional and local hiring goals.
- Ongoing Partnership. Sterling partners with you to analyze your program data and provide guidance, best practices, and other recommendations to help ensure your continuing success.
Get Started with International Background Checks
Sterling offers screening solutions both in your location and across multiple regions, depending on your needs. Click the option that best describes you.
Job candidate? Click here