May 31st, 2017 | Debbie Lamb, Sterling Talent Solutions
What to Look for in a Background Screening Provider
If you have ever leased or purchased a car, then you are familiar with how important customer service, listening and negotiating are in deciding where to buy your new car. You don’t want to feel pressured and you want to make sure that everyone from the salesperson to the maintenance crew is listening to your questions and needs. Is the salesman sharing all the correct information? Are they giving you a demonstration of the accessories and components of the new car? Is the service team helpful in describing mechanical issues? All of these questions are important when making a car purchase. But, the same questions can also be applied to businesses when they are looking for a new vendor or supplier.
Finding the Right Background Screening Provider
When searching for a new background screening provider, there are many things to consider from a great customer experience to easy to integrate technology. Having a good relationship with a vendor is a critical component when searching for a new background screening provider. HR teams will look for a provider who offers the best solutions that can be customized to meet their background screening needs. From criminal background checks to drug screening, it is important for a background screening provider to have the tools to meet their client’s needs.
Elements of a Background Screening Platform
From monitoring tasks and due dates to launching your hiring activities, HR teams want a holistic picture of what’s happening day-to-day across all of their HR activities. A background screening provider should offer a variety of services from customer service to IT help. However, these services would be obsolete without the best possible background screening platform. Some of the elements that combine with a stellar provider to create a great screening platform include:
- Simple to Use: From monitoring tasks and due dates to launching your hiring activities, companies need a holistic picture of what is happening across their day-to-day HR activities. A background screening provider should have a platform with simple navigation, advanced search features and intuitive dashboards that is easy for everyone in the department to understand.
- Candidate Experience: A background screening platform provider should offer a candidate portal that is unique to an organization’s company and culture with the multimedia functionality to add videos, images, links, social media and documents.
- Compliance: Compliance is a critical consideration in the background screening industry. A background screening provider should be well-versed in local, state and federal regulations and how they affect an organization’s hiring process. A screening platform should offer the latest required disclosure, onboarding and tax credit forms.
- Workflow Management: A background screening provider should offer a platform that has a simple drag-and-drop interface to make configuring workflows simple and effective.
- Document Management: Background screening platforms should have the ability to update and manage documents and media without needing to reconfigure portals or call the IT team for help.
- Integration: Does your background screening provider offer integrations with your current ATS or HRIS systems? They should! Having an all-in-one HR hiring solution will create a streamlined, paperless hiring solution for the HR team and the job candidate.
- Reporting: Each organization has specific HR and hiring KPIs and metrics that monitor on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. A background screening provider must be able to have reporting capabilities that can be customized to a variety of client needs and the team to help explain how to create those reports.
- Security: Background screening and onboarding require in-depth measures and procedures to protect the information of your candidates. A background screening provider must have a database with full data encryption capabilities to protect information and the information of job candidates.
Sterling Has a Dedicated Team to Support Our Clients
Sterling has a dedicated team to support all levels of interaction with clients and prospects from the initializing the sale to operational issues. Sterling’s team works together to answer questions, help solve issues and be proactive to our client’s needs. Sterling has developed best practices and methodologies exclusive to Sterling Talent Solution name to give the best customer service in the background screening industry.
As you evaluate your background screening and onboarding platform providers, you’ve got a lot to consider. From the simplicity of the platform to the experience you give your candidates, it’s important to think through all of the features and functionality you need before making a final decision. While comparing background screening providers, always remember to bring it back to the unique needs of your company. By selecting the right provider the first time around, you will improve your efficiency, decrease cost and align your team around a centralized mission. To get more details about each of the questions to ask when choosing a background screening provider, download our new eBook, The Ingredients of the Perfect Background Screening Platform.
This publication is for informational purposes only and nothing contained in it should be construed as legal advice. We expressly disclaim any warranty or responsibility for damages arising out this information. We encourage you to consult with legal counsel regarding your specific needs. We do not undertake any duty to update previously posted materials.